Leaderboard
728x15

The Southern Red Muntjac

Large Rectangle
Searching for something to share, I came across these shots of the Southern Red Muntjac, which I had taken in the Nature Reserve, and had completely forgotten about. These shy Asian deer-like creatures, also known as Indian Muntjac, kept themselves partially hidden in the tall grasses, near the lake.


The Southern Red Muntjac   (Muntiacus Muntijac)
 

These small deer are family of the Visayan Spotted deer.
 

I had to lighten all these shots, as the deer were in deep shade.
 

The light was poor in the shade, but I finally got a better view of one when she settled in a small clearing.
 


 

Ah, that's better! It didn't bark at me, but the Muntjac does barks like a dog to ward off intruders.
 

The Waxbill.
 

Not a good shot, but as you can see, they were partially hidden in tall grasses, just like the Muntjak, and difficult to single out. They gathered in groups, with other small birds like finches .
 

I tried to get nearer, but they all rose up in a dark cloud, and dispersed to a nearby tree where I couldn't see them at all.
 

These Waxbill photos were taken in the Algarve last July.
 

Perhaps I will be able to get better images of the Waxbill on our next visit to the Algarve next month.
 
WILD BIRD WEDNESDAY
SATURDAY'S CRITTERS
I'D-RATHER-B-BIRDIN
Banner