Leaderboard
728x15

Algarve and the Little Owl.

Large Rectangle
As I was walking Mel one day, I passed the place where I had seen the Little Owl last year in the hope of seeing it again, but the old pylon must have been demolished, and been replaced by a new one. I was always on the lookout however, and then I saw it, or another Little Owl, perched on top of a pole, way out in the middle of a field, far from the road. Would you believe that I didn't have my camera with me!! As there was more traffic than usual, I had had to put Mel on her leash, so had left my camera in the car. Back at the car, I retraced my steps to the field, and as luck would have it the Little Owl was still there.


This is the road where I walk Mel.
 

At first the Little Owl appeared to be asleep, with it's eyes closed,...but as their eyes are light sensitive, I expect...
 

he was just protecting his eyes from the bright sunlight whilst moving his head from side to side, surveying the land.
 

I was delighted to have seen this Little Owl, and walked back to the car, with a spring in my step, never dreaming that I would see it again later in the evening.  

Americo taking photos of an ant colony,...
 

and this is his photo.
 

A male Stonechat
 

A Whitethroat Warbler.
 

Another encounter with a Little Owl on our way home. His eyes were wide open this time.
 

The light was not only fading, and  I was on the wrong side of the sun, to get really clear shots of the Little Owl.
 

Nevertheless I'm still glad I captured these images, and that he stayed long enough for me to get these four shots,...
 

and then he flew away, and I never saw the Little Owl again,...perhaps next year I will be just as lucky.
 
  WILD BIRD WEDNESDAY
GOOD FENCES
SATURDAY'S CRITTERS
I'D-RATHER-B-BIRDIN
Banner