Leaderboard
728x15

Algarve and the Bee Eater 2017

Large Rectangle
Hello Everyone!:) It's a pleasure to be back home, ...where it is now lovely warm weather, and I'm feeling so much better. The break has done me good, and I have lots of goodies to share,...birds, butterflies insects, flowers, and so much more,... but the highlight of our holiday, without any doubt was meeting up with an old friend, and seeing  and photographing the many beautiful Bee Eaters. We knew where their nesting sights were this time, and went to look for them on the very next day, so this is where I'll begin. I hope you are all in the best of health, and I'm looking forward to visiting you all as soon as I can.


The Bee Eater  Merops apiaster

They catch insects in flight, often high up in the air.
 


The Bee Eaters plumage has very brilliant colours, though these are not especially luminous, therefore usually require a perched bird, and moderate range to be fully enjoyed.


We had parked the car, just off the main dirt road where their nests were, and I waited behind the trunk, before I finally got lucky and took a series of shots of not only one, but two Bee Eaters.

 

Fortunately they liked to perch out in plain sight, on fences, and on old lichen covered trees.

 
WILD BIRD WEDNESDAY

SATURDAY'S CRITTERS
I'D-RATHER-B-BIRDIN
Banner